By 1900s, Chief Secretary was the Head of Secretarial staffs. Other ranking are two Secretaries with their Under Secretaries. These were housed, together with other high official in the Secretarial building.
By 1930s, the new reforms led to a great increase in number of secretaries. In addition to the Chief Secretary, Head of the offices, there were 7 Secretaries, 7 Under-Secretaries, 2 Assistant Secretaries and 4 Registrars.
By 1940s, the introduction of reform took place again after separation of Burma from India. There were 10 secretaries, 3 joint- Secretaries, 5 Deputy Secretaries, 9 Under Secretaries, 5 Assistant Secretaries and 7 Registrars.
In 1897, Frederick William Richard Fryer served as the Lieutenant Governor of the Brith Crown Colony of Burma. It was established in 1897 as an advisory Council to the Lieutenant Governor in drafting Legislation for Burma. The Council was initially an appointed body, established as a nine – member Council. The council consisted of five officials and four nominated non-officials.
The Municipal Act was enacted by Council in 1898.
Land Tax Office and Chief Court were inaugurated in 1900.
According to the second modern census taken in 1901, there were 10 million population in Burma.
In 1903, Shoe Question brought matters to a crisis in the Secretariat. Burmese natives and civil servants were insisted to take off their slippers and sandals on entering the offices. However, the 'whites' were supposed to wear their shoes to symbolize their difference from the natives. It was reasonable to assume discrimination was a mark of disrespect. U Pu, barrister – at – law, and Sir U Thwin, social activist, were up for challenge. Government felt forced compromise and finally successful solution came out.
On 16th March 1909, membership of Governor's Council was increased from 9 to 15. One member out of added Six was elected by Trades Association. Other members were nominated by Lieutenant Governor.
In 1915, membership of Governor's Executive Council became 28 and two experts were added. So, there were total 30 Executive Members.
Council Chamber for Legislative body was completed in 1923 at a cost of Rs.70989.