The quadrangular area of the Secretariat is 16 acres.
The main structure is a massive U shaped building with one long central block and two wings. 'Council Chamber' was added to the north of the quadrangle.
Central block (south facade fronting Dalhousie Road) was firstly built in 1889 and completed in 1893.
The cost of Central block was about 10 Lakhs of rupee.
East wing (fronting Judah Ezekiel Road) and West wing (fronting sparks Road) were built in 1903 and completed in 1905.
These two wings costed seven and half Lakhs each. So, the entire cost of these buildings was about 25 Lakhs of rupee.
Construction of the Council chamber was completed in 1923 at a cost of Rs.70989.
The design and estimate for the Secretariat were prepared by Henry Hoyne-Fox, Executive Engineer of Rangoon Division. Contractor was Naitram Rambux, a famous constructor from Northern India.